Music Hunt

Hello All,

Recently I have felt like I was stuck in a rut music-wise as well as being disillusioned with the current trends in music. So, I decided to go on a hunt for "new" music. For months now I have been meaning to do a little research for more 50's rockabilly. I have always been a fan of Buddy Holly (thanks grandpa!), Elvis (my grandma was a panties throwing Elvis fan) and Jerry Lee Lewis just to mention a few. I mean who does like dancing in your room to Splish, Splash!



However these are all the typical, clique artist everyone thinks of when they think of music from the 50's. I wanted to find the less known, more obscure artist. With the internet, this task wasn't too difficult. There is TONS of information out there. My favorite method though, is AMAZON. It is an under rated search tool sometimes. The way I go about it is I pick an artist I like. In this case I used Buddy Holly (I had "That'll be the day" stuck in my head. Still do!). If you simply look down you will see similar artists, or other who liked this... bought this... I love this little feature on amazon. From there I just clicked on different artists and look at what was available. The other benefit to using amazon is that you can hear samples of the music! SCORE! The other place I do most of my searching is the Itunes store. You can pretty much use the same method. I was able to find some pretty nifty albums too. Below are some of my new discoveries. Check them out for yourself if you like any of the above artist! I promise you won't be disappointed.

  • Eddy Cochrane
  • Duane Eddy
  • Fats Domino
  • Carl Perkins
  • Chuck Berry (I know obvious)
  • Gene Vincent
  • Roy Orbison

If you are looking for a good compilation I suggest one of the American Graffiti cd's. They have lots of volumes, not just movie soundtrack (though I would not exclude it). It isn't only music from the 50's but includes some of the early 60's as well. It gives you a good idea of what was around and could help you find more amazing artists!

So have fun exploring and send a message my way if you know of any others I shouldn't leave out!

I will leave you with some fun performances hee hee!

Jerry Lee Lewis- Whole lot of Shaking going on


Buddy Holly- Oh Boy


Eddy Cochrane- Summertime Blues


Gene Vincent- Be bop a lula

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loving my Pattern Collection

Wedding Progress

FO- 1947 Dress